WESTLAKE GIRLS PARENT FORUM
25 June 2013
Present: Beth Porteous, Barbara Scholten, Kate Carlisle, Coralie Lush, Petra Praschnig, Julia Vencatachellum, Annuska Menoita, Tony Klein, Eliza Mackay, Penny Meads
Apologies: Wendy Calder-Jennings, Tania McDonald, Joanne Duncan, Kristina, Susan Quinn, Joy Bradfield
Minutes from last meeting:
Moved by: Petra
Seconded by: Beth
Amendments to Minutes from last meeting:
· The old uniform is for sale for Year 10, 11 and 12. Not for Year 9
· Beth investigated the idea of selling apples from a vending machine and contacted Westlake Boys High School (WBHS) and found out that it was not viable. We may look at other options in regard to vending machines at a later date.
$ 3,916.61 out: $30.10 badges for girls
$22.00 cheese and crackers for AGM
In account to date: $ 3,864.51
· Vistors Blog: 7600 to date
Sale of Old Uniform on 6 July 2013 from 10.00am till 1.00pm:
· Set up at 9.00am
· Exact location to be confirmed
· Prices of uniform to be confirmed
· Which Years (10,11,12?) can buy uniform needs to be clarified
· Tony will speak to Ms Mexted to get exact pricing and Years who can purchase old Uniform
· We will be selling Coffee, Tea, Hot Chocolate and muffins as our fundraiser as we are helping the school/uniform shop to sell the uniform
· We need to get signs made up
· People helping at uniform sale: Barbara, Petra, Beth, Penny, Kate, student representatives depending on their sport’s schedule
· Options on when we could do a sausage sizzle were discussed.
· Tony to find out when the BBQ is available and also dates when we can do a sausage sizzle.
· Dates suggested: parent teacher interview evenings: 2nd and 9th July (4-7pm)
· Also depending on availability of parents to help with the sausage sizzle
Parent Teacher Interview dinner for teachers:
· Beth is organising it
· Julia and Annuska are going to help Beth to set it up
Guest Speakers for 10 July 2013:
· Andrew Cowie is going to talk about internet bullying and dangerous websites and
· Senior Constable Tania Wansink will be talking about the new anti-bullying law changes coming into effect this year
· Parents and students are welcome to this informative talk
· This is a follow on from the evening with Ro Lange
· Gold coin donation
· Tea and coffee will be served
· The first shipment will arrive in the next few weeks and we need to name this new Westlake Girl.
· The following has been suggested:
· Naming competition:
o Each house will get the opportunity to select 2 names for the Girl
o Barbara will talk to the Service Prefects of each house to explain the competition
o Once the houses have selected the two most popular names, all the names will then be presented to the school at large and the students will get the chance to vote on their preferred name
o The girl who suggested the winning name will receive the “Girl” USB stick as prize.
o Annuska to design posters for the competition
o The dates still need to be set for the competition and naming, but most likely after the school holidays
· We are hoping that the sales can be made through the payment office. Payment has to be made in advance which will guarantee a USB stick, exact details need to be worked out.
Uniform Voucher ($500.00):
· The voucher has been donated to the Parent Forum by the Uniform Shop as a thank you for taking on the task of selling the old uniform. We thank the Uniform Shop for their generosity.
· The sale of the raffles will go ahead as planned and some opportunities for the sale have been identified:
o Open night – date to be confirmed
o Information evening – date to be confirmed
o Enrolment nights on 5th August and 7th August 2013
o For sale to the school community at large – details for sale to be confirmed
o Petra to design raffle tickets
o Date of draw to be confirmed
Special Event on 24 September 2013:
Barbara Scholten was approached by the Sarah Thornton from the North Shore Libraries Foundation to host an evening with:
Dr Kathy Reichs, Forensic Anthropologist and author of the Temperence Brennan books and known by TV audiences as Bones. Dr Reichs is here to promote her latest book: Bones of the Lost. She is currently creating a new Teen series called Viral.
We are very excited to have such an inspirational speaker to come to the North Shore and Westlake community to talk to us about her experiences as a scientist and author.
This event will be held in conjunction with WBHS PTA whom we approach today to co-host this event.
All further details will be announced as we are made aware of them.
Please spread the word about this inspiring speaker and bring your girl/s along to the evening.
We will be serving refreshments before the event and Dr Kathy Reichs will be available for signing her books afterwards.
Meeting closed at 9pm.
Next meeting: 30 July 2012, 7.30pm Staff room WGHS
Upcoming Parent Forum meetings:
27 August 2013
24 September 2013 – Dr Kathy Reichs
22 October 2013
Friday 9 November Teacher Morning Tea
26 November 2013 – Last meeting of the year